Today was the 5th pick up for the Fresh Fork CSA. We were expecting the following items.
- 1 bunch beets with tops
- 1 bunch carrots with tops
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 ct zucchini
- 2 ct squash
- 1-2 cucumbers depending on size
- 1 quart yogurt
- 1 head bibb lettuce
- Approx 1.5 lbs tomatoes
- Approx 2 lbs sweet black cherries
- 1 lb grassfed ground beef
Here is what we received:
So, it looks like the black raspberries were an unexpected bonus this week. Everything looks fabulous. We’ll be feasting well for the holiday weekend.
In addition to the above, I had placed an order for extras via the Fresh Fork website. It worked well. I ordered maple syrup, oats, 2 wheat flour, chorizo sausage, whole wheat linguini and 2 bunches of spinach. It was just under $30. I probably wouldn’t order the flour again since I didn’t realize they were one pound packages. The oats are just to try in a granola recipe. The spinach was the most delicious spinach that I ever had last week and I have the perfect recipe for it (along with the pasta), and we weren’t expecting any this week. We also really enjoyed the chorizo two weeks ago and I was glad that it was in stock this week.
Between two CSA pick ups and the field night this week, our fridge is well stocked with veggies. I’ve put together a simple lists of dishes to prepare this weekend in hopes to use many of the items up.
Menu Planning for CSA items this week:
- Camembert / brie herbed cheese over spinach and linguini
- Kolhrabi/radish au gratin
- Salad with quinoa, beans, chorizo, etc.
- Harvard beets
- Summer squash fritters or baked squash fries
- Cole slaw (with apples, onion, cabbage, etc.)
- Salads (with cucumber, radishes, red pepper)
- Stuffed cousa squash (with quinoa or rice and ground beef, onion, etc.)
- Beet greens
- Foil pack glazed carrots
It will be a weekend full of cooking and eating local!