I made this recipe today and served them with potato salad and chicken bratwursts. It was a super easy and surprising light dish. Since we’ll be getting lots of squash this summer, I think this dish will get made often. I also plan to experiment with different seasonings as we go.
Recipe: Summer Squash Fritters
Summary: As usual, all measurements are approximate.
- 1 medium or 2 small summer squash (like zucchini)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1/4 t Penzeys Ozark seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- approximately 1/4 cup olive oil for frying
- Peel and great squash.
- Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Drain and/or squeeze out as much juice as possible.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat egg.
- Add squash, pepper, seasoning, green onion, and flour.
- Mix well.
- Heat 2 T of oil in a nonstick skillet on medium heat.
- Drop 2 T of batter at a time into skillet until the skillet is full (approx. 6 fritters).
- Gently flatten with a spatula.
- Cook 3-5 min on each side until golden in color.
- Drain on plate lined with paper towel.
- Continue until batter is used, adding more oil as necessary.
Ozark seasoning contains salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, sage, paprika, mustard, ancho, celery, cayenne, dill weed, dill seed, caraway, allspice, ginger, cardamom, bay leaf, mace, cassia, savory, cloves. Feel free to season to your taste. Serve with yogurt, sour cream, honey mustard or other sauces.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3