Nick is still taking swim lessons. He usually goes once a week on Thursday. I’m so glad that he loves the water! I think he is the class clown. He always seems to be goofing around. I talked to one of the instructors today. She said he just likes the water. I’m glad it doesn’t seem to bother her. From my vantage point, he is always bobbing up and down and not paying attention. I’ll keep letting him take lessons as long as he wants to swim. It think it’s an important skill.
He’s getting much more comfortable in the water. He also still loves his hooded towel when he gets out.
My workout today included lots of swim practice. I spent an hour in the pool and even had my own lane for a part of my workout. I am mostly interested in building up my endurance at this point. I used to need a nap after a great strength training workout or spin class. Now, I need a nap after a long pool workout. I’d love to have the stamina for 2-3 hours of a vigorous workout and not need a nap. That’s a great goal for this year.
My practice today included:
- quite a few laps of the crawl
- a few lengths of the backstroke
- a couple of lengths of the breaststroke kick with a kick board
- a couple of lengths of just kicking on my back to simulate the dive brick test
- 4 or 5 dives in the deep end to practice my hang time at the bottom for brick / victim retrieval
- a length or two of breaststroke
- ended with getting out of the pool without the ladder – it still isn’t pretty, but it was doable after the hour in the pool
I was having some trouble with my goggles. I think it’s time for a new pair. Maybe I’ll get a chance to shop this weekend.
My arms are a bit sore tonight. I’m not sure if it’s from the swimming today or the strength workout yesterday. It’s probably a combo.
I’m hoping for a nice day at Lake Farmpark with lots of walking tomorrow. The second lifeguarding class is Sunday and we’ll be in the pool for a couple of hours again.