We have 3 freezers in our house. We have the one that is connected to our fridge in our kitchen along with two larger ones in our basement. The ones in the basement aren’t really that big, but they are the biggest one that would fit down our wacky stairs.
To keep track of what we had, I started a freezer inventory. Every few months, I would empty the freezers and take a detailed count. Occasionally, it was convenient to have a list on the fridge of the contents.
Once the CSAs started this summer, we hardly used anything from our freezer. We have some items that are over a year old. We’ve also stocked up on items when they were in season like blueberries.
In an effort to rotate stock and highlight items that need to be used, I thought I would publish my inventory along with an action plan for the next month or so.
Here are the 4 highlights for this month:
- bagged frozen veggies such as broccoli, green beans, spinach, kale and leafy greens
- While I certainly won’t use all of them this month, I’d like to use 5-7 bags of them up. After all of the freshness from our CSAs, it’s really hard to eat grocery store bagged frozen veggies. But, we won’t let them go to waste.
- My goal with meat is not to buy any this month. We are getting a turkey from our Fresh Fork CSA and we occasionally get other meat in our CSA. We don’t NEED any more right now.
- prepared foods
- We’re pretty good at freezing portions for meals for future use. These should be easy to use this month.
- My goal with bread this month is to make our own muffins, bread and rolls. We have a bread machine and a couple of good recipes. It’s cooler now and seems appealing (and less expensive) to make our own.
The detailed list of our freezer contents is below if you are interested in the detail.
I’ll be back in 4-6 weeks with an update!